1. Per the boss’s strict orders, stopped by the Beef Jerky Unlimited in Luna Pier. Jalapeno Beef Jerky for me, and picked up Elk and Antelope jerky for him.
2. Got absolutely hosed on parking. Someone told me media parks in the garage, but the garage told me to park in Lot 3. Lot 3 told me to park in Lot 4, and Lot 4 told me to go f--- myself. Ended up paying $25, which I didn’t even pay for the damned Stanley Cup Finals.
3. Once I got there, tried to find the media entrance. Was told at a big metal door that it was a glass door. The folks at the glass door told me that it was the other glass door. The folks at the other glass door told me this was right, but that I had to pick up my media pass at the box office, which is around the corner and all the way on the other side.
(It was when walking from the box office back to the press entrance when I had to phone in my 3:30pm sports report. It might have been the only report that actually made it on the air, as I will explain later..)
4. Once in the press box, walked passed Rachel Nichols, which was really kinda neat. I think I saw Peter Gammons too, but he takes a back seat.
5. My time in the press box was short, however, when I soon learned I was in the auxiliary press box… which is outdoors. In the outfield. Under the video board. Which meant walking all the way around the ballpark again.
6. Finally in my seat, I whipped out my phone to connect to the wifi, only to find out that I forgot to get the password. Whoops. Eventually get the friendly guy next to me to give me the password, but the wifi keeps dropping out.
7. Also, the cell signal sucks. My attempts to call in at 4:30 are in vain. I, instead, record an MP3 and send it in, hoping that it either picks up on the wifi when it connects, or manages to find a way through the 3G nightmare. I honestly do not know if this made it to air.
8. Ditto 5:30, which would be my last attempt at anything, as the hunt for data has resulted in a dead phone. Again, the friendly gentleman sitting next to me allows me to use his phone charger. (Yes, they provided us power outlets. No, I didn't think to bring my charger.)
9. On top of all that, I get to see a former Cy Young winner ring up 10 strikeouts and get handed a loss because he gave up a solo home run, while his offense swung at any crap that came out of the Red Sox hands.